To contact Andrew Bibby
Tel: +44 (0) 1422 845799
Industrial relations, trade unions and social partnership in a changing world of work
en français/ auf deutsch/ en español
This section of my website focuses on issues of industrial relations, trade unions and social partnership, in the context of a globalising world where the nature of work and employment is subject to change.
It includes the texts of a number of reports written for, among others, the International Labour Organization (ILO) and UNI Global Union (UNI), as well as a selection of relevant articles from my recent journalism.
Responsible contractors: An approach aimed at improving social and labour practices in the property services sector. Written for the ILO, and published 2011
A World on the Phone: experiences of call centre workers around the globe. A report for UNI Global Union, for call centre action month 2009.
||Green ICT: a trade union approach (Written for UNI Global Union) This report is available in English, German, French, and Spanish. Written late 2009.
Industrial relations and social dialogue in the Web 2.0 world. This report, written (2008) for a trade union audience, explores the implications for unions of participative internet applications such as Facebook, Second Life, Flickr and Twitter. Also available in French, German and Spanish language versions.
The Thirty-Minute Guide to Private Equity. Written in 2008 for a trade union audience. Available in English, Russian, French, Spanish and German.
|You're being followed: electronic monitoring and surveillance in the workplace.
(Written for UNI) This report is available in English
. Published 2006.
Opening the doors wide to the self-employed. How trade unions are recruiting and organising self-employed workers as members. Also available in French and German language versions. Written late 2005 for UNI.
Also relevant to the relationship between self-employed workers and employees is my Freelance Ready Reckoner 2011-12, produced primarily for UK freelance journalists. It identifies day rates for UK freelances equivalent to annual salary levels for employees.
The Global Mobility Revolution This report, written late 2003 for UNI, proposes a policy and an approach for trade unions internationally facing up to the issues of 'offshoring' and the remote migration of work. PDF format. Also available in French, German, Spanish and Swedish versions.
Another more recent report for UNI, The use of migrant professional workers in IT, was written in December 2007. Also in French and German.
On the same theme, I have edited Offshore Outsourcing, a practical guide for trade unionists and employee representatives dealing with the complexity of offshore outsourcing (2006). This handbook, written by Tom De Bruyn and Monique Ramioul, is also available in French, German, Swedish, Danish and Dutch.
Global Concentration in the Media (2003, for UNI). This study suggests that concentration of media ownershp is an issue of concern both for unions and for wider society.
Negotiating the New Economy: the Effect of ICT on Industrial Relations This extended essay explores the relevance - or otherwise - of industrial relations in a post-industrial information-based economy. It was contributed as a background paper to the ILOs World Employment Report 2001. It is available for downloading in sections, or - in unvarnished form - as a PDF.
Employability in the Telecoms sector. This explores, among other things, initiatives by employers and unions in the area of training and lifelong learning. The report, for the ILO, dates from 2001.
International Trade Union Activity and work of Works Councils on the internet An assessment of trade union usage of the internet (published Jan 2004), this report was commissioned by the UK Communications Workers Union for the European project int.unity. Also available in German.
Organising in Call Centres. This report is also available in French, German and Spanish language versions. It was written for UNI in 2000.
Universal Development of the Post. Another report for UNI, this is a background report on developments globally in the postal sector, Versions are also available in French, German, Spanish and Swedish.
||I have worked closely with UNI on the development of their On-line rights at work campaign. The code of practice, launched in 2001, can be accessed here in English, German, French, Spanish and Swedish language versions.
I am the author of the book Information and Communication technologies in Europe: the trade union perspective (published 2002). More information about this book, including ordering details, can be found here.
From my recent journalism on issues of social partnership and trade unionism I have selected the following articles:
Note that other reports of mine as well as Powerpoint presentations I have made at conferences may also be available, on request by email.
- Organising on the home front - domestic workers (ILO) Also in French and Spanish.
- Public sector workers resist forced mutualisation (PCS View, 2011)
- Lost in an employment black hole (PCS View, 2011)
- Cleaning up the contract cleaning industry (World of Work, 2008) Also in French
- Trade Union responses to globalisation: book review(World of Work, 2007) Also in Spanish and French. (External link to ILO website)
- RFID and surveillance in the workplace (World of Work, 2007)
- German companies take the lead in turning European (Implications of Allianz and Fresenius converting to European Company structure)(Financial Times, 2006)
- Invasion of the privacy-snatchers: RFID and employee surveillance (Financial Times, 2006)
- Is your pay fair? On-line pay comparison services replace collective bargaining with collective self-help (World of Work, 2005) Also in French and Spanish
- The European Company (SE) and Nordea (World of Work, 2004) Also in French and Spanish
- Flexible working: how British companies are coping (Financial Times, 2004)
- The 'e-union' (World of Work 2003) Also in French and Spanish
- Trade unions and the self-employed worker (World of Work, 2003) Also in French and Spanish
- Multinationals adopt Framework Agreements (People Management, 2002)
- European social partners sign telework agreement (World of Work, 2002)
- ILO holds Posts and Telecoms sectoral conference (World of Work, 2002)
- Labour organisation in India's IT industry (Financial Times, 2002)
- Trade unions in Europe negotiate on telework (Teleworker, 2001)
- Trade unions & new work (Teleworker, 2001)
- On-line rights at work (World of Work, 2001)
- Teleworking: how the trade unions are responding (Teleworker, 2001)
- German trade union launches telework helpline (Flexible Working, 1998)
- Trade unions develop call centre operations (Flexible Working 1998)
- "What about the workers? Teleworking and the trade union movement", (World Transport Policy & Practice, vol 2 number 1/2, 1996. )
Return to my home page